Multilingual Music Glossary
- Z See Zimmerman numbers.
- zart Tender, delicate.
- zarzuela A Spanish lyric-dramatic genre that alternates between spoken and sung scenes, the latter incorporating operatic and popular song, as well as dance.
- Zäsur See caesura.
- zeloso Zealous, keen, earnest.
- zestiende noot See sixteenth note.
- Zimmerman numbers The numbering system identifying compositions by Henry Purcell.
- zin See phrase.
- Zirkularatmung See circular breathing.
- zu “Too” (excessively).
- zu Shown as zu2, zu3, etc., it is a directive to indicate the number of musicians to perform the indicated passage of music.
- zurückhaltung See ritardando.
- zusammen Literally, “together”. A directive to perform a certain passage of music together with other musicians in the section. Typically found after a divisi.
- Zusammenklang See harmony.
- Zusammenschlag See acciaccatura.
- Zweiunddreissigstel See thirty-second note.
- Zweiunddreissigstelnote See thirty-second note.
- Zwischenspiel An interlude played between the verses of a hymn.