We are planning to write articles on many interesting flute-related topics. If you have a tough question that you'd like our team to answer, please go on and leave us a request. We'll be glad to help you clarify any musical issue you might have.
How to Practice
- How to Practice Sight-reading — Practical tips to improve your sight-reading skills. How to prepare for a sight-reading audition, and what to look for when you sight-read.
- Flute Harmonics — An introduction to natural harmonics for flutists. A complete explanation of what harmonics are and how they can help you to develop a better embouchure. Also features a collection of bugle calls.
- Flute Vibrato — What vibrato is, where it comes from and how it should be used. Tips and exercises to develop vibrato on the flute.
Instruments of the Flute Family
- Differences between the Flute and the Piccolo — Is the piccolo really the same thing as the flute, just smaller and higher pitched?
- Tonettes, Song Flutes, Flutophones, and Precorders — A comparison of various types of cheap recorder-like instruments.
- Ocarinas, Recorders, Tin Whistles, and Native American Flutes — A comparison of various types of folk flutes.
- Beginner's Guide to the Ocarina — Everything you need to know to get started with ocarinas.
- The Overtone Flute: Ancestor to All Flutes — An introduction to the simplest member of the flute family.
- My Troll Flute — The story of a unique type of recorder from Norway.
- Musical Symbols — A guide to some more or less common symbols that flutists can run into.
- How to Transpose for a B-flat Instrument — Or how to play flute-and-clarinet duets. Easy step-by-step instructions to convert music for a B-flat instrument.
- How to Transpose for an E-flat Instrument — Or how to play a flute-and-piano piece with an alto sax. Step-by-step instructions to convert music for an E-flat instrument.
- Fan Mail — A collection of some of the most interesting and inspiring messages we have received from our followers over the first 10 years of flutetunes.com.