Multilingual Music Glossary
- jarabe Traditional Mexican dance form with multiple sections in contrasting meters and tempos.
- jäsentäminen See phrasing.
- jazz A musical style created mainly by African-Americans in the early twentieth century that blended elements drawn from African musics with the popular and art traditions of the West.
- jig A vigorous dance originating in the British Isles in the 15th century or earlier, usually in compound meter.
- jive A form of blues popular in the 1940s.
- jodel See yodel.
- johtosävel See leading note.
- jota A type of Spanish dance song characterized by a quick triple meter and guitar and castanet accompaniment.
- jubiloso See giubiloso.
- just intonation Tuning system in which the notes are obtained by adding and subtracting natural fifths and thirds.