Tune of the Day: The Ladies of Carrick
The earliest known appearance of this jig is in the Stephen Grier manuscript collection, dated 1883. Stephen Grier (c. 1824–1894) was a uilleann piper and fiddle player. A native of North Longford, he moved to Newpark, Bohey, Gortletteragh, in South Leitrim in 1852.
There is a village called Carrick in southwest County Donegal, but there are also other places with the name (derived from the Irish carraig, ‛rock’) in Ireland.